Maddens Lawyers have been helping injured workers for many years, and takes great pride in making the process as simple as possible for clients.

If you've been injured at work, or suffered an illness or disease as part of your employment, you can claim compensation.

The most important things to do first are:

  • lodge a workers compensation claim with your employer as soon as possible, using the correct forms, and within strict timelines
  • seek independent legal advice - don't make your own assessment of how serious your injury or illness might be.

Maddens can help you through this process to ensure you follow the right procedures, and gain the maximum compensation you are entitled to.

Compensation for people injured at work is provided via WorkSafe (formerly WorkCover). WorkSafe provides assistance for injured workers, whether they are full time, part time, casual, contractors or self-employed. Injuries that may be covered are physical and psychological diseases or illnesses.

WorkSafe may also apply if your employment has made an existing injury or illness worse, or caused an old injury or illness to return such as:

  • cancer
  • stroke
  • asthma
  • heart conditions
  • degenerative conditions.

You may even be able to claim for injuries that occurred:

  • on a lunch/tea break
  • at a work function
  • at a work training session or event
  • while travelling during the course of work.

Provided you can show some relationship between your employment and the injury, you may be entitled to compensation.

WorkSafe can also provide compensation for the dependents of a worker who was killed at work, or died as a result of their employment.

Navigating the requirements of a WorkSafe claim can be complicated and lengthy. It also involves strict time limits. That's why it's important to seek expert legal advice if you think that you - or a member of your family - may qualify for compensation.

Frequently asked questions