Claim forms
Warrnambool ocean

How to make a TAC claim: Your guide to compensation

Transport accidents can be stressful and overwhelming, and can often result in injuries, medical bills, and other disruptions to your life. If you've been injured on a Victorian road, or in a car registered in Victoria, you may be entitled to compensation through the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

At Maddens Lawyers, we're here to guide you through the TAC claims process to help you get the compensation you deserve.

What is a TAC claim?
The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is a government body that provides compensation and support to those injured in transport accidents on Victorian roads. TAC operates under a "no-fault" scheme, meaning you can lodge a claim regardless of who was at fault.

Whether you are the driver, passenger, pedestrian, or cyclist, if you have been injured you may be eligible for compensation to help cover medical expenses, income loss, rehabilitation and other costs associated with the accident.

How to make a TAC claim and how our personal injury lawyers can help?

  1. Report the accident - If you have not already, report the accident to the police to ensure you have a record of the incident.
  2. Seek medical attention - If necessary, seek medical attention even if your injuries seem minor. Keep details of all medical treatments, prescriptions, and other related expenses for your claim.
  3. Speak to Maddens Lawyers Personal Injury team - Navigating a TAC claim can be complex and overwhelming. Maddens Lawyers are experienced in working with the TAC to help ensure you are getting the maximum amount of compensation they can.
  4. File a TAC claim - With the help of your Maddens Lawyers personal injury lawyer, file your TAC claim. You will need to provide details of the accident, your injuries, and medical treatments you have received.

What are the time limits for making a TAC claim?
There are strict time limits in Victoria for making a TAC claim. Claims need to be lodged within 12 months from the date of the accident to claim for benefits from the TAC. You may lodge your claim within three years of the accident, but you run the risk of the claim not being accepted so don't delay.

What compensation can I claim?
The compensation you can claim and receive from the TAC is dependent on the extent of your injuries. You may be eligible to claim for:

  • Medical expenses - Including cost for hospital stays, surgeries, appointments, medications, and other treatments.
  • Income loss - Compensation for lost wages if you're unable to work due to your injury.
  • Rehabilitation services - Including cost for counselling, physiotherapy, and other recovery-related services.
  • Impairment benefit - A lump sum determined by the extent of your injury.
  • Common law damages - Compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment in life, and any loss of earning capacity.

Contact Maddens Lawyers personal injury lawyers for a free consultation
If you need assistance with your TAC claim or wish to speak with one of our qualified personal injury lawyers, contact us today for a free consultation or find out if you have a claim by using our online claim checker. Our practiced personal injury lawyers are here to support you every step of the way.

2405_Motor Vehicle Guide
Our latest blog