Maddens Lawyers


Maddens is here to help

If you've been injured at work, or suffered an illness or disease as part of your employment, you can claim compensation.

If you believe you have suffered an injury or illness due to your employment, the most important things to do first are:

  • Lodge a workers compensation claim with your employer as soon as possible. You MUST use the right forms, and lodge it within strict timelines.
  • Seek independent legal advice. Don't make your own assessment of how serious your injury or illness might be.

Contact Maddens Lawyers Personal Injury Specialist, Gary Foster today.

We can help you through this process to ensure you follow the right procedures and gain the maximum compensation you are entitled to.

Compensation for people injured at work is provided via WorkSafe (formerly known as WorkCover).

WorkSafe provides assistance for injured workers, whether they are;

  • full time
  • part time
  • casual
  • contractors
  • self-employed

It covers a broad range of injuries, physical AND psychological, and diseases or illnesses.

WorkSafe may also apply if your employment has made an existing injury or illness worse, or caused an old injury or illness to return.

Injuries that can be made worse due to your employment might include:

  • cancers
  • strokes
  • asthma
  • heart conditions
  • degenerative conditions

You may even be able to claim for injuries that occurred

  • on a lunch break
  • on a morning or afternoon tea break
  • at a work function
  • at a work training session or event
  • while travelling during the course of work

Provided you can show some relationship between your employment and the injury, you may be entitled to compensation.

WorkSafe can also provide compensation for the dependents of a worker who was killed at work, or died as a result of their employment.

Accessing WorkSafe compensation can be complicated... we're here to help

Navigating the requirements of a WorkSafe claim can be complicated and lengthy. It also involves strict time limits.

That's why it's important to seek expert legal advice if you think that you - or a member of your family - may qualify for compensation.

Maddens Lawyers provides specialist legal advice when it comes to WorkSafe - we have been helping injured workers for many years and pride ourselves on making the process as simple as possible for our clients.

What type of benefits does WorkSafe provide?

There are several types of benefits that can help you and your family get through the difficult times that usually follow a work-related injury or accident. These include:

  • Medical and rehabilitation benefits
    • Medical treatment
    • Rehabilitation treatment
    • Travel to and from treatment
    • Home help assistance
  • Income support if you cannot work
  • One payment to cover permanent injuries 
    • This is an area where an experienced lawyer is necessary if you are to investigate this type of benefit. There are a lot of guidelines and requirements that must be met or followed to ensure you are eligible for such a benefit.

How much money can be awarded?

That will always depend on your circumstances.

There are maximum amounts payable, depending on the injury and the pain and suffering it caused.

Maddens Lawyers' Accredited Personal Injury Specialist will be able to discuss your personal situation with you and provide advice on what you may be entitled to.

We pride ourselves on securing compensation that fairly and adequately covers a clients' medical costs and pain and suffering.

What are the legal costs?

Maddens Lawyers understands that people with average incomes may not be able to afford to meet the costs of starting legal action while they wait for a compensation payout, particularly if they have been unable to work due to an illness or injury.

This is why we have a 'no result - no charge' policy.

This means that if we believe we can win a personal injuries action on your behalf, we will consider holding off charging you for our tie until there's a settlement or decision on your case.

This means if you don't win a case that we said we'd fund, you won't have to pay our professional fees.

Consider it an example of us putting our money where our mouth is.

There are conditions to this policy. For example, it doesn't apply to out-of-pocket expenses, such as the cost to get reports from medical experts, or court fees. But we can explain all this to you at your first appointment - which is also free.

Rest assured that before we start any work, we will explain to you in detail:

  • how fees are calculated
  • what it will cost to put your case together
  • costs that may come up during your case
  • what you may recover, or need to pay, to others involved in your case.

I don't know who is to blame for my injury. Does that matter?

You don't need to be able to identify whose fault it was that you were injured.

Provided you were injured, or contracted an illness as a result of your employment, you have a reason to look in to whether you are eligible for compensation.

If I gain compensation, will the money I am awarded just go towards paying a lawyer?

No. There are laws that prevent this - not to mention our own moral code.

Our aim is to ensure you receive all that you are entitled to.

That's not to say that you won't need to cover some additional legal costs. But we will make sure we inform you of this from the start, and keep you updated as the case goes on.

In many successful cases, a portion of your legal costs may be recovered from the other party.

If I don't win, what happens with the costs?

While we can't give you a guarantee that you won't be ordered to pay the other party's costs, this doesn't happen very often.

We pay close attention to how the case is progressing so that we can assess if you may be at risk of having to pay the other party's costs.

Your best first step is to seek independent legal advice.

Maddens Lawyers can provide you with a fair and accurate assessment of your situation, so you know where you stand.

Personal Injury, Specialist, Gary Foster, Compensation


If you think you may be eligible for compensation, ACT QUICKLY. Strict time limits apply. Gary Foster is an experienced, accredited specialist who can expertly assess whether you have a claim.

Need more information? Contact our Personal Injury Specialist

Gary Foster

Gary Foster


Gary Foster is a Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury PH: 03 5560 2000